The world’s largest Meetup group, the infamous NY Tech Meetup, held their second session of 2015 this week so here are the highlights, time stamped of the ten different live demos in this 1 hr and 46 minute beast of a video.
- First up were Mind My Business (go to 5:15) which is an app that notifies businesses what is going on around them. It’s the regulatory issues which can sometimes get in the way of running a business and this app aims to curate information on fines and violations that have occured in the vicinity of businesses which help owners make sure they don’t run into the same problems.
- Kids Creation Station (go to 10:30) converts children’s artwork into 3d printed creations and then ships them to you. Just upload the picture and a four inch printed sculpture arrives in about four weeks.
- Dasher (go to 15:50) backed by $1.25 million in seed funding is an instant messaging app which allows rich embedded content including most importantly, gifs and videos.
- Poacht (go to 27:00) aim to fully automate the recruiting process by matching passive candidates to open positions on their platform. The guys from Poacht give a great demonstration of how the platform works with a really clean UI and a cheeky ‘download our app, love to hear your feedback’ encouragement to use the app.. not that you might be thinking of changing job or anything..
- Bowery (go to 31:14) is a replica of a production environment for developers which means that once code is deployed it won’t suffer the outages that never happened on your machine.
- Wenting Zhang gave a seriously impressive presentation as part of ‘Hack of the Month” about her project underline.js, (go to 53:00) a pixel perfect tool for underlining text which renders spaces around descenders in text (j,y,p) and.. wait for it.. allows you to use underlines as a guitar string!
- Abacus (go to 1:02:15) is an app (desktop, iOS and Android) for filing expense claims as you go, allowing you to take a photo of receipts and attach to requests, which means you get refunded a lot quicker. The platform allows managers to view, approve and pay the claims as soon as they are entered on the system.
- Pager (go to 34:30) I have to say, I love this concept as it solves the obvious problem of being able to get to the doctor when something is wrong. With Pager, they come out to you and can assess pre-arrival.
- Classcraft (go to 1:12:27). I’ll be posting entirely separately on this project but briefly it is a game that layers on top of real world education where students can gain points or be penalised in the game for what happens in real life scenarios.
- Robotbase (go to 1:29:18). Kickstarter campaign completely funded since this event, the world’s first personal robot.
..and if you didn’t want to watch any of these demos you can always skip to 52:10 and watch Brandon Diamond be pulled up for kissing into the mic before hack of the month.. doubles up as testament to how easily humoured I am..